Conference Proceedings Paper
RELAP5 EXPERIENCES AND APPLICATIONS FOR HEAVY WATER REACTOR TECHNOLOGY AT NINE
36th Annual CNS Conference - 2016 June 19-22
A. Petruzzi (Nuclear and INdustrial Engineering)
M. Cherubini (Nuclear and INdustrial Engineering)
D. De Luca (Nuclear and INdustrial Engineering)
The present paper summarizes the experiences and the applications of RELAP5 code for performing thermal-hydraulics analysis in heavy water reactor technology. In particular three analyses are discussed in detail:
- The safety analysis carried out to support the licensing process of the Atucha-2 Nuclear Power Plant in Argentina;
- The transient analysis performed to simulate the Loss-Of-Flow accident in Darlington Nuclear Power Plant;
- The simulation of the core of OPAL Research Reactor in Australia to evaluate the consequence of a possible increase of the analytical limit for the Reactor Protection System overpower trip.
Additionally to the performed analyses, the paper provides insights in relation the methodology adopted for qualifying a system thermal-hydraulic code calculation, and in particular in respect to the demonstration of the geometrical fidelity, demonstration of the steady state achievement and the qualification at on-transient level.
Individual Conference-Paper Copies (Electronic Where Available):
- For CNS members, the first 5 copies per calendar year are free, and additional copies are $10 each.
- For non-members, the price is $25 for the first Conference-paper copy in a request, and $10 each for additional copies of papers in the same conference and in the same request.
- Contact the CNS office to order reprints.