Conference Proceedings Paper
LEVERAGING TECHNOLOGY TO IMPROVE PLANT MAINTENANCE, TRAINING AND IMPROVE EF CIENCY
11th International Conference on CANDU® Maintenance and Nuclear Components - 2017 Oct. 01-04
E. Lei (Ontario Power Generation)
A presentation of some technology initiatives at OPG to improve Maintenance activities and training.
- Electronic Work Package (eWP): Up until a few months ago, all maintenance work was done by paper binders, which consists of procedures, drawings, work instructions and forms. These binders are being assembled the morning of execution and it takes times. We are now using tablets in Darlington in place of these paper binders. It saves assembly time and re-keying time after the job is done in the field. With Wifi going into the station, other benefits are limitless.
- Electronic FME Logs (Foreign Material Exclusion): Eliminate the current paper logs. In a typical Turbine outage, the paper log is about 3 inches thick double sided. It is very difficult to read hand writings as well as reconcile everything that goes into the FME level 1 area and everything that comes out. We are working on a simple (user friendly) electronic solutions (and low cost) to make this paperless.
- Scaffolding App: We have a licensing requirement to inspect our scaffolds monthly once it is built. And currently we are using Excel tracking ‘sheets’. This App is to wirelessly capture the inspection information to a live database. The side benefit is we will also have the inventory information.
- Virtual Reality/Augmented Reality on Foreign Material Exclusion Dynamic Learning Activities (VR/AR FME DLA) tool: We are using VR/AR to enable students to do the JIT (Just In Time) training away from any classrooms or Mock up area. It makes training flexible and keeps it low cost (money and space).
He will share with you the background why these tools are created and the benefits of using these tools. He will also share with you the vision of adopting the new technologies in OPG Nuclear Maintenance.
Individual Conference-Paper Copies (Electronic Where Available):
- For CNS members, the first 5 copies per calendar year are free, and additional copies are $10 each.
- For non-members, the price is $25 for the first Conference-paper copy in a request, and $10 each for additional copies of papers in the same conference and in the same request.
- Contact the CNS office to order reprints.