Conference Proceedings Paper
Outage Improvement Initiative at Bruce Power
9th International Conference on CANDU® Maintenance - 2011 December 04-06
Len Clewett (Bruce Power)
Outage performance is a significant contributor to the business plan at Bruce Power. A process improvement initiative commenced in 2010-11 to improve outage efficiency and predictability.
12 teams (over 200 people) participated in improvement identification in four areas:
- Organizational Engagement
- Outage Scope
- Critical Outage Execution
Out of over 550 initiatives identified, 200 are being incorporated into the Outage Improvement Initiative.
Key deliverables include:
- Development of a long-range “fleet-level” business strategy to integrate outage duration, outage improvements and unit refurbishments
- Development of a 35 day outage schedule template
- Determining optimal outage organization to perform outages on an 8-unit site.
- Improved schedule adherence and productivity.
- Process to integrate scope needs to support life-cycle and long-range outage needs improvement while meeting near term and regulatory requirements
- Consistent methodology in planning of outages to front-end load the high risk work into the outage schedule
- Consistent baseline by senior leaders for the expectations of milestone ownership and completion
- Consistent framework for milestone compliance and preparation
- Communication strategy to educate personnel on the importance of the outage program and nuclear safety, business goals, and budget
- Suite of metrics based upon industry benchmarks
The Outage Improvement Initiative has a goal of 35 day outages every 30 months. This potentially represents considerable savings to the Bruce Power business plan, both direct revenue savings attributed to reduced outage duration, as well as incremental outage cost savings. Other improvements from the initiative will include personnel radiation exposure and equipment reliability due to decreased outage duration and adherence to scoping, assessing and long lead part milestones.
This presentation will describe the outage improvement initiatives to achieve a goal of consistent 35 day outages, every 30 months. This will also by direct correlation reduce outage costs and radiation exposure, while maximizing the revenue stream from safe, reliable generation.
Individual Conference-Paper Copies (Electronic Where Available):
- For CNS members, the first 5 copies per calendar year are free, and additional copies are $10 each.
- For non-members, the price is $25 for the first Conference-paper copy in a request, and $10 each for additional copies of papers in the same conference and in the same request.
- Contact the CNS office to order reprints.