Conference Proceedings Paper
COG CANDU® Outage Optimization Project at Wolsong, Qinshan, Cernavoda, Point Lepreau, Darlington and Pickering
9th International Conference on CANDU® Maintenance - 2011 December 04-06
Leslie McWilliams (CANDU Owners' Group)
This COG initiated project objective is to reduce the timeline CANDU power plants are shutdown for planned maintenance outages through knowledge sharing, benchmarking and completion of a Gap Analysis. The following CANDU Nuclear Power Stations/Facilities formed a partnership to achieve the objective: Korean Hydro and Nuclear Power Company (Wolsong), Qinshan, Societatea Nationala "Nuclearelectrica" (Cernavoda), New Brunswick Power Nuclear (Point Lepreau), Candu Energy Inc. (formerly AECL) and Ontario Power Generation Inc. (Darlingtonand Pickering).
Project participants selected ten focus areas to evaluate and optimize. Benchmarking studies were conducted at each utility. A Gap Analysis was performed between the stations and site specific recommendations have been made considering:
- Critical path improvement opportunities (Unit Shutdown, RBLRT and Unit Start up)
- Major work program improvement opportunities (Turbine/Generator, Electrical Maintenance, MOT, SST and the Valve Program)
- Recommended modifications to reduce outage durations
- Process Improvements (standardized clearance process)
A final report has been issued to each station identifying:
- Gap Analysis Comparison results
- Best Practices for each area studied
- Site specific improvement opportunities
- Most Effective Process for Outage Preparation
- Most Effective Outage Execution Practices
- Contingency Plan Preparation
Results will be discussed during the presentation.
Individual Conference-Paper Copies (Electronic Where Available):
- For CNS members, the first 5 copies per calendar year are free, and additional copies are $10 each.
- For non-members, the price is $25 for the first Conference-paper copy in a request, and $10 each for additional copies of papers in the same conference and in the same request.
- Contact the CNS office to order reprints.