Conference Proceedings Paper
Advanced Instrumentation and Control Systems for CANDU® Refurbishment
9th International Conference on CANDU® Maintenance - 2011 December 04-06
Vladimir Skylar (Research and Production Corporation Radiy)
I. Bakhmach (Research and Production Corporation Radiy)
V. Kharchenko (Research and Production Corporation Radiy)
Anton Andrashov (Research and Production Corporation Radiy)
O. Baranova (Research and Production Corporation Radiy)
Research and Production Corporation Radiy is a designer, manufacture and supplier of Instrumentation and Control (I&C) systems for Nuclear Power Plants (NPP). Since the 1990s Radiy has installed over sixty I&C systems at European NPPs.
Advanced I&C technology and flexibility of digital equipment, appropriate for different types of reactors, allow considering Radiy as a potential player on the Canadian nuclear market. Radiy became an official AECL supplier after Quality Management System audit in 2010. Today, Radiy’s digital safety I&C platform is considered by AECL as a base for a part of control and monitoring system for Enhanced CANDU 6Ò. Future successful licensing of Radiy’s digital safety I&C platform would permit using it as a base for refurbishment of existing CANDUÒ reactors.
The purpose of the work is to discuss opportunities to modernize I&C systems of CANDUÒ reactors on the base of Radiy’s digital safety platform.
This paper discusses the following topics:
- Features of Radiy’s Field Programmable Gate Arrays (FPGA) based platform and benefits of FPGA-based controllers for NPP I&C systems,
- Challenges and progress in Safety Integrity Level (SIL) certification of Radiy’s digital safety I&C platform,
- Features of Radiy’s approach to modernize NPP I&C systems on time and on budget,
- Utility and vendor Task Leadership Integration (TLI) approach to refurbishment project management and appropriate Radiy’s case study,
- Cost / Risks optimization of different approaches to modernize I&C systems during pre-engineering stage of CANDUÒ refurbishment.
This paper presents results achieved by comparative analysis of concurrent architecture for advanced Shutdown System. Results of such analysis can be applied for decision making support during choice of refurbishment approach for CANDUÒ I&C systems.
Individual Conference-Paper Copies (Electronic Where Available):
- For CNS members, the first 5 copies per calendar year are free, and additional copies are $10 each.
- For non-members, the price is $25 for the first Conference-paper copy in a request, and $10 each for additional copies of papers in the same conference and in the same request.
- Contact the CNS office to order reprints.