CNS SHORT COURSE ON CANDU REACTOR TECHNOLOGY (ON-LINE)
- Date: 2020 Nov 13
- Venue: Zoom, Course held on-line
- Contact: CNS Office
- Phone: (416) 977-7620
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
The Nuclear Science & Engineering Division
The course brochure is available here.
The CNS CANDU Technology and Safety Course, held for the last many years in March, has had to be cancelled/postponed to 2021 March on account of the COVID-19 pandemic.
In order to provide a partial replacement for the full course, a shorter, on-line course is being offered on 2020 November 13.
This on-line offering will present a small number of presentations on the technology of CANDU reactors, on:
- the basic reactor design
- CANDU thermalhydraulics
- plant refurbishment and reactor start-up tests, and
- balance-of-plant systems.
The CNS is presenting this course to enhance the professional and technical capabilities of its members (and non-members) working in, or interested in, the nuclear industry. The course is ideally suited for beginning professionals, but also beneficial to experienced professionals. Come broaden your nuclear knowledge beyond your specific area of work and your own area of expertise.
This course is eligible for Continuing Education Units in the context of the Engineering Institute of Canada Continuing Education program.
- 08:15 Opening remarks, introductions, details on course schedule, breaks between sessions, continuing-education units, and on-line-platform rules and protocol.
- 08:30-10:00 “CANDU Design Overview”, by Ben Rouben, 12 & 1 Consulting
- 10:00-10:20 Break
- 10:20-11:50 “Balance of Plant”, by John Froats, Ontario Tech University
- 11:50-12:30 Lunch Break
- 12:30-14:00 “Refurbishment of Darlington Unit 2 + Reactor Start-Up Tests”, by Constantin Banica, Ontario Power Generation
- 14:00-14:20 Break
- 14:20-15:50 “Thermalhydraulics Principles”, by David Novog, McMaster University
- 15:50 Closing remarks, Survey
The registration fees are shown below, and include HST (HST # 870488889RT)
CNS Member: $150.00 [Must be a CNS member in good standing]
Non-CNS Member: $200.00
CNS Full-Time Student Member or CNS Retiree Member: $75.00
Click here to register online.