- Date: 2018 Oct 10 - 11
- Venue: Marriott Downtown Ottawa, Ottawa, Ontario
- Contact: CNS Office
- Phone: (416) 977-7620
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Everything you wanted to know about nuclear technology and were afraid they’d ask!
2018 October 10 - 11
Marriott Downtown Ottawa
Click here for the conference flyer
Click here for the Agenda
The two-day Nuclear-101 course is specifically designed for individuals (including students) within the nuclear community (with or without a technical background) who find themselves interacting with the public. The course will provide you with a good understanding of nuclear and energy fundamentals, along with the tools to explain to others in simple, factual terms how the technology works, some of the interesting twists and turns of its exciting history, and the important contribution nuclear science and technology makes to our society.
The course will be taught by some of Canada’s leading nuclear educators and communicators. It will consist of three modules, and will include demonstrations, Q&A, and a discussion of each module’s relevance to public outreach:
- Energy and the Nuclear Fuel Cycle
- Facts, Myths, and Historical Review of the Nuclear Industry
- Health Risks of Radiation
Who should register:
- Anyone in the nuclear community who regularly speaks to the public (or is interested in speaking to the public) and would like to be able to explain nuclear technology in simple, factual terms.
- Anyone who has ever been asked “difficult” questions about the past, present, and future of the industry – and wishes he/she knew the answer.
- Anyone who would like to broaden his/her knowledge about Canadian nuclear science and technology: its history, current status and future potential.
How to register
This outreach course is being offered by the Canadian Nuclear Society (CNS).
Click here to register.
The cost of the 2-day course is $495 (HST included), and will cover all materials. Full-time university students may register at a discounted rate of $300 (HST included). Register early to avoid disappointment. Course registration deadline: 2018 September 24.
Venue and Accommodations:
The course will be held at the Ottawa Marriott Hotel, 100 Kent Street St., Ottawa, ON, K1P 5R7. Guestrooms may be reserved at a special rate of $209 per night in the same CNS block as for the CNS conference held over the same days, by calling the hotel at 1-800-853-8463 and mentioning the Canadian Nuclear Society conference and course or directly on-line as for the conference at the dedicated webpage https://book.passkey.com/event/49571406/owner/8160/home . The last day to book using the special rate is 2018 September 10.