Nuclear 101 - postponed
NUCLEAR 101 – postponed to the fall of 2020; date & venue to be confirmed. Please monitor this website for updates.
Everything you wanted to know about nuclear technology and were afraid they’d ask!
2020 April 22-23
Four Points by Sheraton
Toronto Airport Hotel
The two-day Nuclear-101 course is specifically designed for individuals (including students) within the nuclear community (with or without a technical background) who find themselves interacting with the public. The course will provide you with a good understanding of nuclear and energy fundamentals, along with the tools to explain to others in simple, factual terms how the technology works, some of the interesting twists and turns of its exciting history, and the important contribution nuclear science and technology makes to our society.
The course will be taught by some of Canada’s leading nuclear educators and communicators. It will consist of three modules, and will include demonstrations, Q&A, and a discussion of each module’s relevance to public outreach:
- Energy and the Nuclear Fuel Cycle
- Facts, Myths, and Historical Review of the Nuclear Industry
- Health Risks of Radiation
Who should register:
- Anyone in the nuclear community who regularly speaks to the public (or is interested in speaking to the public) and would like to be able to explain nuclear technology in simple, factual terms.
- Anyone who has ever been asked “difficult” questions about the past, present, and future of the industry – and wishes he/she knew the answer.
- Anyone who would like to broaden his/her knowledge about Canadian nuclear science and technology: its history, current status and future potential.
How to register
This outreach course is being offered by the Canadian Nuclear Society (CNS).
Click here to register now.
The cost of the 2-day course is $495 (HST included), and will cover all materials. Full-time university students may register at a discounted rate of $300 (HST included). Register early to avoid disappointment. Course registration deadline: 2020 April 10.
Venue and Accommodations:
Four Points by Sheraton Toronto Airport Hotel, 6257 Airport Road, Mississauga, ON
Telefon for guestroom reservations: 1-888-236-2427, refer to “CNS Event”