Welcome to the Chalk River Branch
The Canadian Nuclear Society is an association of Canadians (and some non-Canadians) interested in the present state, history, and/or future, of nuclear science and engineering in Canada. Many of us are scientists, engineers, and technologists directly affected by the Canadian nuclear industry, but we also include members of the general public and educational system who are simply interested in nuclear issues. Directly or indirectly, we are all affected by the nuclear industry; it is the technology that powers our future, and the science that leads the way.
The members of the Chalk River Branch include many present and retired employees of both AECL (Chalk River Laboratories) and Ontario Power Generation (formerly Ontario Hydro, which operated the NPD nuclear power station nearby). We also have members from related businesses in the area, as well as the general public. Our operating area is the Upper Ottawa Valley, a region northwest of Ottawa along the Ottawa River, including the municipalities of Deep River, Laurentian Hills (Chalk River), Rolphton, Petawawa, Pembroke, Renfrew, Whitewater and surrounding townships. It is a region rich in Canadian heritage, steeped in the traditions of the fur trade, forestry, cattle farming, the military, and home to Canada's oldest and largest centre for nuclear research, Chalk River Laboratories.
The CNS welcomes participation from anyone interested in Canadian nuclear science and engineering, whether or not you are directly involved with the nuclear industry. Please contact any of our representatives, or email this website, to learn more about membership in the CNS. The following graph shows the membership in the Chalk River Branch of the CNS.
Local Links ...
- AECL homepage
- Bubble Technologies homepage (neutron dosimeters and spectrometers - a state-of-the-art technology spun-off from AECL)
- Nray Services homepage(neutron radiography)
- The Canadian Nuclear FAQ
- NRC Canadian Neutron Beam Centre (part of NRC's Steacie Institute for Molecular Sciences)
- Chalk River
- Deep River Science Academy ("real science" summer immersion for high-school students)
- Radiation Safety Program, Algonquin College, Pembroke Campus (Join our discussion bord in Facebook)
External Reports of Interest ...
- "1999 Annual Report of the AECL Research & Development Advisory Panel".
- "The Importance of the Canadian Neutron Facility to the Future Development of CANDU Reactors", A Report of the R&D Advisory Panel to the Board of Directors of AECL, 1998 November.
- World Nuclear Association Information Library
- Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant:
International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA)
World Nuclear Association
Japan Atomic Industrial Forum, Inc.
If you would like to give a seminar, have a guest speaker suggestion, or have any comments, please feel free to contact us at: ChalkRiver@cns-snc.ca